Monday, May 8, 2017

My DIT Immersion Journey Part III



Fig. 1 Making it easy on the road with Sir Ian

An exciting day for me and my partner Sir Ian as we start driving our way to PLDT Naga. It is indeed lucky for me since Sir Ian brought his finest car as our getaway vehicle. We can never hide our excitement as shown in picture on the right. We have itineraries that day and we came to make use of our time wisely to finish our target on schedule.

Fig. 2 Sir Rhomar giving lectures on Access Gateway and VLan
Many things happened that day worth the wait for our mentor to give us some background and how they handle day-to-day operations despite his busy schedule. This gives us idea about their work environment and significant insights on PLDT South Luzon Fixed Access and Transport operations. Personally, I was amazed on how Sir Rhomar managed to teach us and provide learning worth remembering such as discussions on access gateways and virtual LAN among others. His understanding of network management especially as applied in the field is surely amazing. I managed to understand some of his discussions but the theories taught at school has gap compared to what is really practiced in the field. I thought, this person is truly an embodiment of an experienced industry professional and this experience is an eye opener in the sense that I realized personal lapses as an educator that this gave me industry level experience I could impart to my students in the future. 

Fig. 3 Showing the NMS system to manage their operations
After discussing basic network principles and its interconnections, Sir Rhomar graced us with an opportunity to see how he use the Network Management System (NMS) to remotely control, manage, and access remote networks like routers, perform remote maintenance and troubleshooting and other important operations. He made mention about the importance of NMS in their day-to-day operations and that it provides certain authority to manage and control access privileges. The system is not suited for exploration especially for beginners since any mistake could spell disaster to their operations and that is a valid ground for dismissal. So, he said that in order to use the system make sure that you know what you do and be accountable for any actions you performed. There are many things I learned and this gave me an idea on what research direction I would like to benchmark as a start-up project. I would like to deal with customer complaints through managing ticketing resolution and fault escalation because this is their priority program of providing customer satisfaction.

We left the office late at night about 8:30pm if I am not mistaken. Full of hope that the next day and other days to come would give me more insights about customer complaints which I decided as the focus of my research. Sir Rhoman promised to show us more and gave us words of encouragement as we leave the PLDT office.
Fig. 4 Our good mentor Sir Rhomar (left) and his two star pupils (center and right)
This is yet another exciting day of my life as a DIT student working my way through finishing immersion. I hope the next few days would be abundantly productive as we are now ready to challenge ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My DIT Immersion Journey Part IV

Almost at the final frontier of my journey to finish the immersion with my mentor and warm accolades of the staff comprising PLDT South Luz...